Friday, July 22, 2011

Doing the "right thing", but why?

There are so many rules and regulations in life, so much drama that arises from being "good" but I ask you, isn't that what we all want? Why is doing the right thing, individually or as a whole, so difficult for people to follow? Was our entire youth a waste, being forced to go to school to learn and be productive members of society? I just don't get it.

I find myself particularly irritated when it comes to my kids. I've done my best to instill a sense of right and wrong in them, but what the h*** for if there are kids that get away with the unthinkable? How do I explain to my kids that what those other kids did was wrong, yes, and it's unfortunate that they'll never have to repay their wrongdoing but don't you ever think of trying it. It makes parenting really difficult. I've thought of how interesting it would be to just tell my kids, instead of being nice to the other kids at school or at the park, just take them down. I know this sounds ridiculous but that's just how I feel after years of watching them suffer for doing the right thing. I know life is hard but SERIOUSLY, aren't we making it harder on ourselves by letting our kids get away with such crap?

To all you parents that aren't aware of your kids' wrongdoings, get with the program! Your kids are the reasons people need therapy; your kids are the reasons kids opt out of playing sports or even enjoying school. Kids are mean and rude and just downright difficult but that's no excuse to just let it happen. Take control of them for gosh sake! At least then the rest of us don't have to listen to another heart wrenching story of how your darn kid made life hard for the other kid, who did the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you have something to say, so say it!